Port Melbourne’s Lady Forster Kindergarten has been a part of our community for 86 years. Today’s Chisholm & Gamon blog looks at the origins of this important kindy, and the news of its imminent move.
Located at 101 Liardet Street in Port Melbourne, Lady Forster Kindergarten has been offering daycare and kindergarten services since 1924! A true part of Melbourne history, it was founded by Captain Derham (he owned the Port Melbourne Swallow and Ariell biscuit factory) along with the then-governer of Victoria’s wife Lady Forster. The kindergarten started off on Salvation Army premises, as its current Liardet Street location used to be submerged and called The Lagoon – it was used as a fish market until the land was reclaimed by government, who built the kindy as it is. Today, the Lady Forster Kindergarten provides care and educational services for 3 and 4 year olds. It enjoys a large outdoor area which the kids love, as many of the families who use this service live in small apartments or houses. Unfortunately, the Lady Forster Kindergarten is now being asked by the Port Phillip Council to vacate and relocate. It might not be all bad news for the future though, as the site is going to be redeveloped into the Liardet St Family and Children’s Centre. The redevelopment is currently on hold until the kindergarten’s building has been examined by the heritage register.
TAGS: Port Philip Council, Lady Forster Kindergarten, Liardet Street, Swallow and Ariell, Lady Forster, Chisholm and Gamon